Saturday, February 23, 2013

Backtrack - Post-FTC-Iowa Championship (Hyphens ahoy apparently)

Note: This entry is also a backtrack because I wanted to publish Friday's entry first and not mess up the time/order of things.


Well, the Robotics team just got back from the state championship and I have to say that I'm impressed by how the two days went. In terms of the results, we got 7th out of our division of 24 teams (there were 48 teams total and it was randomly split into two divisions) and then we were selected to move onto the semi-finals. Unlike the regional qualifier, we were the third person picked as an alliance teammate rather than the last one, so we're moving up in the world, right? :-) Our alliance did lose the semi-finals 1-2, which is just like regionals, and after watching the games and seeing the issues our alliance encountered (wires popped out, unlucky autonomous execution, etc.), I didn't feel that we were cheated by not moving forward. I mean, hey, we went through the qualifiers with a winning record (4-2-0).

The other side of things that I liked seeing was the students' interactions with the judges/volunteers/other teams. The judges' interview went overtime, but they seemed interested in our program on top of how our team ran. I was attending to something else, but a volunteer complimented us on diligently wearing safety goggles in the pit. Last night, we stayed at a local high school with a handful of teams and our team started a big game of Contact with people with a bunch of different teams. It's things like that that really show gracious professionalism.

Throughout the day, I was thinking about what I could write about. I thought of things like school rivalries, being confused as a high school student, and more about the competition… BUT, since I did drive 8-9 hours in the past two days and it's quite late, I think sleep is a better option for this exact moment. I'll post this entry online tomorrow.

See you all Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment