Sunday, November 5, 2006

in the midst of a marshmallow war or my love for old school PBS

Hello everyone,

Things have been going well. As indicated by my subject line, I'm currently involved in a marshmallow war involving 4th and 5th floor. It's currently day 5, and there's about half of us left "alive". (In case you haven't heard of a marshmallow war before, everyone has a "target" that they have to find and hit with a marshmallow, provided the target isn't in a safe zone--their room, bathroom, etc. Then, when you hit your target successfully, that person's target becomes your target, and the last man "standing" wins.) I already have three "kills", but this fourth target is proving quite difficult. Oh well, as long as it doesn't affect my school, I'll be fine, and I'm currently at a point where if I die, I'll be okay with it.

Uh, classes are going well. I have a paper due next Wednesday, so I should probably start that some time soon. :-P I got news of a pay increase, so that's cool (although work itself has its quirks, you could say). Mike (who is also still in the war), is doing pretty well, although I hope he doesn't get re-addicted to Oblivion (he suddenly decided to pick it up again yesterday and time slipped his mind yesterday a little).

Oh, last night. First, after doing random stuff and nothing much productive, Pat, Dan R, Sara and I went to Annie's, which was a nice random trip. Dan told us he'd buy us all malts, so I decided to pipe in and buy appetizers to share as well. The only odd thing at Annie's was when Dan tried to get a waiter's attention to ask him about a "doggy cup", and the guy straight up said no. Literally the guy said "no" after hearing Dan ask, "Excuse me sir?". Okay, the guy did have a bunch of stuff to punch into the register, but I felt bad because Dan is simply the nicest person I know, period, and he gets that sort of response... Anyway, after Annie's, last night turned into Sara and me watching clips of Square One TV, Sesame Street, and the Muppet Show. Like I told Sara, Square One TV is probably one of the reasons why I became a math major/person, because it's such an awesome show. Okay, most people don't remember Square One TV, but basically take a PBS show like "Between the Lions", "Reading Rainbow", or "Kratt's Creatures" and set it to math. It was such an awesome show and I'm glad I could find some clips in various places (including some Mathman clips on YouTube). I was thinking about it recently, and how I'm so glad to have PBS and shows like Square One TV and Reading Rainbow in my childhood. I can only imagine what each generation will be like as these shows gradually disappear for one reason or another.

Well, with my little philosophical topic about PBS aside, I should head out. I have church choir tonight, so I'm going to try to get some stuff done before then. Hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you all later, take care and God bless.

~Matt dB

No comments:

Post a Comment