Sunday, May 20, 2007

Two weeks until CYC...

Hello everyone,

As the subject bar indicates, I have two weeks left until I begin my job at CYC. For those of you who haven't heard, I'm going to be a camp counselor at a Catholic youth camp (aptly named Catholic Youth Camp, or CYC for short), and other than the general position title of "counselor" and a basic fact or two, I don't know much about what I'll be doing there. The camp holds week-long sessions for kids grades 2-12, so it'll be exciting working with little kids. Fortunately, the kids are divided into smaller age groups so it'll only be two or three grades each week rather than kids from every grade. I'm hoping I can do something with the music and/or drama and/or dance "programs" they have, but we'll just have to wait and see.
The camp itself doesn't start until June 18th and training doesn't begin until the 9th, but my (and my mom's) schedule works out to move in a little bit earlier. Counselors can move in as early as Wednesday so I'm hoping to get to know my co-workers more before training begins. So yeah, I'm actually leaving Bemidji on Friday to go to Brainard for CPR/First Aid training/certification. I'll stay in Brainard (living with my grandparents) until Sunday, which is when I'll move into camp. When I'm at camp, I'll only really have Internet access in between camps (so Saturday evening and Sunday), so I will be slower to respond to emails and slower to blog... but I do that anyway, so you probably won't notice. Also, I will have a mailing address if you wanted to write me some snail mail. Just send me an email and I'll send you the mailing address.
The past few days have been packing and cleaning. I fortunately got my own computer hooked up to the Internet and printer and such. I'm sure my mom will appreciate it because now she can listen to music, burn music CD's, and have a bigger screen for emailing. Tess moves back to the house tomorrow so the room is definitely looking presentable that it did yesterday at this time. There are just some last boxes that have to get sorted and organized tomorrow. After everything is cleaned up, I can concentrate on getting ready for camp. I have various appointments (eyes, physical, and teeth) planned already, but I also need to find costumes/props for each week's theme, as well as what I'm going to pack in general. Fortunately I think I'll have the house to myself during a lot of the days, in case I needed to lay out contents of bags. On the other hand, I'll probably be hanging out with Chris, Erik, Megann, and Joe a good deal before I go.
Well, I should get some shut eye. I have an eye appointment at some point before nine tomorrow morning, so tonight needs to be an earlier night. On the other hand, I can get Guitar Hero hooked up downstairs now since the stuff on top of it is gone... I mean... Anyway, I'll let you all go. I hope everyone is doing well. Talk to everyone later, take care and God bless!

~Matt dB

No comments:

Post a Comment