Thursday, August 25, 2005

Crossing the First Threshold (warning: this entry make cause feelings of sadness especially for members of the BHS graduating class of 2005)

A portal or threshold represents the transition into the world of adventure, the step of ‘Crossing the First Threshold.’ A sense of danger as well as opportunity is conveyed. The threshold guardian or "gatekeeper" must test the hero’s mettle for competency before he may enter the realm. Gatekeepers are terrifying creatures such as Cerberus (the three-headed dog of the Underworld), Pan, ogres, and shape-shifters of classical mythology. *

Sure, I won't encounter a literal Cerberus or ogre anytime soon, but this is what has been popping into my head for the past week or so. The whole transition from Bji high school life to collegiate life in the Cities has definitely made me anxious, nervous, excited, happy, sad, peaceful, and calm. Definitely the first time I thought about this big threshold crossing was when I was with part of the Into the Woods cast at the Green Mill after one of the shows. I was talking with Becca, and after she told me that "I'm kind of grouchy... but that's because I'm horny" I thought "wow, I've never heard someone say that before." It was a way of telling me "Hey Matt, notice this? Talking with people at Green Mill amidst loud music, random appetizers and drinks, and lots of people? Yeah, you might have to make this a forte of yours." Plus, ever since then, I've been getting more internal notes like that.

One big one was biking around BSU. BSU has certainly been something that has been helping me transistion from high school to college. When I first did stuff at BSU, it was MusiCamp as a little middle-schooler, then as a high schooler. Then, I started playing at BHS football pep band games, and then ACT's... and still MusiCamp. That brings me up to this past year. Over this year, I was there for an independent theater troupe, a server for Madrigal Dinners (quite a different experience from going as a spectator), MusiCamp of course, spending time with the Into the Woods cast, and being "shown around campus" (as if I didn't know it already from 6 yrs of MC) for a college campus tour. It's been another home for me, but now, I'm not just a little kid waiting for instruction from an adult... I'm the adult. (pause) I know, scary. So, when I was biking, it brought back all these memories of all I've done there... so pleasant and peaceful (well, except the ACT's)

Also, along the "changing life" subject, Frostbite Falls is moving out of town. Well, they are moving to the Kobilka store area I think. Anyway, when I was biking by the PBP, I saw that and when I walked in, I had this flashback sequence of all the shirt orders and letterman letters I was part of... and then I thought of how many times I walked in the backroom (aka the entrance to the Playhouse-Frostbite alliance). I probably could have stood there for five minutes with no thought repeating itself.

Last night, JJ had quite a few people at her place for a bonfire bonanza and it was really fun, although as what JJ, Mikka, and I have discussed, it also had that sad underlying feeling of "when will I see these people again?" Despite having periods of thinking that while everyone was talking to each other in groups, the get-together was really fun (and I tried peach ice cream for the first time--thanks Erik!). I wish that I could have stayed longer.

Well, I said before that I've been having this little "look what's ahead of you and what you're leaving" moments since Green Mill w/Becca. Yeah, that certainly happened today. In short, I went college shopping. Yeah, I never thought I'd be discussing the effectiveness of mini-fridge "freezers" and comparing prices of popcorn. Although I did get a big bottle of citrus shampoo for 62 cents... the best buy all day! Despite that buy, I definitely was like "wow, I'll be leaving my town, school, home, friends, parents, and life I grew up with." Today has definitely been a day of mixed feelings.

Okay, I feel like wrapping up this entry. Please don't feel depressed after reading this entry. Remember, sure things will change, but do you think things will be worse off? Speaking of college stuff, I'm going to email people my college information (aka college address, phone #), but if I don't get an email with it, by all means, email me and tell me that. With that said, until next time.

-Me

*taken from http://www.mystichero.com ... I think


(After posting this, I got a comment from a friend of mine that I wanted to bring over from the old blog site:

Hey kiddo!
Don't feel trepidation for school to start-- of everyone I know you are probably the most likely to really excell. Just remember to go out and have some fun every now and then too!
I must say-- it's amazing to see how grown up you've become-- especially reading this entry-- as compared to when I first knew you... back in the days of Charlotte's Web and middle school and such! Anyway I mostly wanted to tell you how very proud I am of you. I'm not sure whether I feel more like you're my son or my brother! Granted, seeing you so grown up makes me feel a bit like an old geezer as your class starts heading out on their own, but I'll get over it! I am, afterall, almost 20... *shudder*
So-- charge forward bravely and have a wonderful first year of college, Ma-tu. Don't ever be afraid to call and/or e-mail me if you need to talk or really if you need anything. You are a wonderful person and Bemidji won't be the same without you!
Much Love,
~Linnea)

No comments:

Post a Comment