Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blogging the Day of... July 5th, 2011

9:25am-ish: I figured I could try another micro-blog today. It's currently the break between the two morning math classes and I can definitely tell that it's like a Monday (since people seemed sleepy last class). I know this week will fly and before I know it, I'll be back in Minnesota! Oh, speaking of time, I should go before the second class starts!

10:55am-ish: Another break in the classes. I would ask why some students seem overly energetic in between classes yet practically fall asleep in the classes, but I think I know the answer... On a different tone, it's a pretty nice day. I'm meeting with the head of the Education department to talk about Masters classes this afternoon. I'm a little nervous, but we'll just have to see how many education classes I'll need to make up. (After talking with Dr. Malm from the math department last week, I'm oddly more and less at ease at the same time.)

12:23pm: Good old lunchtime. I decided to hang out at the union since they are partially open and since I have some Aladine to use up before I leave. I'm not sure when it runs out, but I figure I might as well play it safe and use it now. On a different note, I am enjoying the new laptop. I got a new laptop with Windows 7 and we have been getting along fairly well. Plus, it has a decent battery! Well, it's around 3 hours, but compared to my previous laptops where going one hour was "dream[ing] the impossible dream", this is pretty sweet.

12:58pm: I have to run out to swing dancing soon, but I love how simply telling someone something can generate ideas in my head. Margaret joined me briefly for lunch and I mentioned how I made a blog specifically for Acadacathalonomania. Then, I realized that I could easily create side posts for the rules and schedule for the next Acada. Plus, since I can schedule blog entries for a specific posting date, I can put things up (like the 6pm riddles) and not have to physically be at the computer at the exact moment. Okay, I did think of that one earlier today, but still, I love how ideas can randomly just... happen! Well, off I go to swing dancing!

2:21pm: Swing dancing went pretty well. We finished our last day of the syllabus material, so over five weeks, the students have learned the basic rock step, East Coast step, Left Inside/Right Inside turns, Left Outside/Right Outside turns, Sweetheart Spin, Bologna Sandwich/Tornado, Lead Spin, Windshield Wiper, Pretzel, Barrel Roll, Scorpion, Slap, and Basic Dip... which feels like a lot since I met with the students for 45-55 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Like I told the students, the responsibility to remember these moves depends on them doing the moves and teaching other people, but I hope I've at least created a spark for swing dancing.

5:17pm: Well, it was a burst of business, but good overall. The students in my "Behind the Music" class were just making the final touches on their musical creations because they will be presenting their pieces tomorrow. Then, I went and met with Dr. Glenn and had a good meeting with her to discuss the education side of the math ed degree that I think I'll be pursuing. I will need to backtrack some in order to be certified to teach when it's all said and done, but it's not that bad. Plus, there are a number of classes that can serve double duty for the certification as well as the education component on the Masters specifically. (I know this may sound confusing when abbreviated as such, but I'm pretty sure it makes sense in my head.) After that, I had to rush into town for an appointment and here I am, back and free for the rest of the night. Amea invited the rest of us for dinner, so I'll be heading over shortly!

12:15am, July 6th: Heh, I forgot about the micro-blog until I got back from dinner and spending time with Amea, Kristina, and Adam. Amea made enchiladas that were quite tasty and we also enjoyed chips with various dip, cherry fluff, and s'mores. Kristina and I did do a little work with the Cultural Transition Program (our way of getting first-year international students adjusted to living in Maryville), although today's work was mainly just logistics and looking over schedules from previous years. After dinner, we played some Phase 10 and had a pretty good night. I think the plan is to have a "leftovers night" where we eat the remaining enchiladas and finish our game of Phase 10. It is getting to be that time, so I should be off. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment