Saturday, January 20, 2007

Spring 2007: first weekend...

Hey there,

I know it's been a while, and I'm glad I finally have some time to blog... although I do have homework to do this weekend as well. Okay, so... there's been a fair amount of stuff going on recently. As of the last entry, I had basically moved into Mike's house and was making camp. Well, that Thursday night, a bunch of us went swing dancing and then to Perkin's, which was fun. It'd be cool to round up a crew to go to the Caves again on some Friday night.

That Friday... okay, so this story has taken a full 45 minutes to tell, and used four story tellers, so I won't tell the *whole* story here... but here's a quick paraphrase: over the past month or so, Mike was working on his Christmas gift to Aubree (his gf) and it all started from him buying a bunch of random stuff online (like little stones, and dead branches). Well, it turned into this really cool 2'x3' landscape complete with waterfall, bridges, forests, and a place to put Aubree's perfect house (that's what sparked the idea). It was also nice to note that Mike actually used all of his random online purchases for the project.

Okay, so fast-forward to last Friday (not yesterday). Mike has the gift done except for some form of a case, but he decides to give the gift to Aubree that day. Well, instead of just giving it to her, he decides to make this entire presentation out of it. Various planning happens, and it turns into the following: Aubree is brought into the house. All the lights are off. Everyone involved in the "presentation" is in medieval clothes. I greet her as the tour guide, with hump and battery-operated candle and all. Mike meanwhile is filming the entire event. We lead Aubree around the entire house where each room has a different "theme", with appropriate signs, objects, and colored light bulbs... aka the house is basically trashed. Like I said, Mike filmed the entire thing so hopefully it'll be online shortly, and he was so excited about everything that after Aubree got the gift, he got me to go through the entire thing again on camera explaining all the work that was put into it.

So, hands down that was the most exciting part of winter break. After all of that craziness, we got various movie stuff done, and otherwise hung out, lounged around, and enjoyed our last part of break. On Saturday, Sara, Mike and I all moved back into the Brook. One of the carts Mike and I shared probably had a couple thousand dollars worth of electronics... heh, you can tell we're IT people. :-P

Well, classes started on Tuesday, so I've had each class at least once... almost. Here's a quick run-down:
Soc 1001: intro sociology class, it'll be nice once I know more people in the class
Th 1101V: honors theatre class, my discussion is 1/3rd people from 5th floor of the brook, so I already know some people. it'll be nice to know the others in the discussion, but in either case, it should be a fun class
Math 5651: Prob-Stat Theory. fortunately I have this one with a girl from my floor. the first two classes proved... bland? I don't know, it just seemed really slow-paced and a lot of review of what I've already covered before in high school statistics. I'm sure the professor is trying to get everyone on the same page.
Math 4707: discrete math w/combinatorics. this is another class with all new faces. it'll be nice once we're into the semester, but since this is another beginning course, the first class was focused around the definitions and basic principles.
Mus 5240: Chamber Singers. Our group is a lot bigger this semester, because of performing St. Matthew Passion (Bach) in May, although for our next performance (John's conducting recital), it's mainly the people from last semester. As a heads-up, there's a concert at the beginning of February, March and May, but I'll send out more reminders in the future.
Mus 3240: Early Music Ensemble. I haven't had this class yet (it starts next friday), and I'll have to fill out a class conflict form before I can actually enroll in the class, but I have a deal worked out with the professor, so it should all be in order by next friday. not sure what to expect in that class yet...

Oh, and on Thursday, I turned in my CA application. There's four guys (counting myself) and one girl from the floor who are all applying, so our floor could be well-represented next year (all the candidates would make fine CA's). Hopefully I can get the information about my workshop since I forgot to write down the location... oops.

Well, even though I've had all the craziness of the Cities, I'm back in Bemidji for the weekend. Why, you may ask? For Vocalmotive's dinner show, of course! It's always nice to come back and hear/see the high school's music program, and I still haven't seen their show yet: Life... Welcome to the Jungle. Later this semester, I may try to get a group together to go to one of the Twin Cities competitions... but I'll have to see how my choir and UDS schedules fit. Well, I have homework and some other web stuff to do, so I should be off. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their weekend so far. Talk to everyone later, take care and God bless!

~Matt dB

No comments:

Post a Comment