Saturday, January 16, 2016

More Brain Crack - made from 100% recycled materials

Hey everyone! It's weird to think that a week-and-a-half has already gone by, so I did want to let you know that I'm still alive. Work has been kind of slow although my grad school classes started Monday and I'm already feeling overwhelmed with what I have to do.

Anyway, that's not what I wanted to blog about today. I'm pretty sure I've done this in the past where I talk about this random idea I have just to make sure it doesn't get lost in my brain first. So here's another one:

I'm not sure if this would be a competition between multiple people or just following one person, but imagine a yearlong span where someone (or multiple people) make a commitment to reduce the amount of household trash they produce. So this would include things like buying food in bulk containers and using recyclable containers and the like. Over the course of a year, the person/people would weigh their trash whenever they would take it out a dumpster and the weight would be negative points per pound. Meanwhile, the person/people would also keep track of how much they recycle, with that weight netting positive points per pound. There would be some details to iron out if it involved multiple people, but it would basically see who could get the best score and recycle more than what they throw away. To help raise aware of how much trash builds up over a year, each participant could also make a donation based on their yearly total of trash, regardless of how much they recycled.

Obviously if this would be in a group setting, there are plenty of opportunities for someone to cheat, but it just seems like this interesting idea that's been rolling around in my head. On the other hand, does this sound appealing for others who aren't involved? Not really, especially it was people who were popular in the first place, since I know you don't want to hear about how many tin cans some stranger got to recycle in April. With that said, this is an idea that probably won't end up happening unless it's a tight group of people who really trust each other.

That seems like a good point to end that discussion, so off to bed I go. It's been weird not checking on the holidays everyday, but I will say that tomorrow will be Kid Inventors' Day and World Religion Day.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment