A few minutes ago, I had the thought "Hey, I'm not a horrendous writer. I have electronic items and the ability to create multiple blogs with one email address (I think). I could make an electronics review blog that could be alright." Then I thought "oh wait, it's been a week since I wrote in my real blog. Let's do that first." I've been trying to find constructive uses of my free time (aka hobbies on the side) so that when I'm not working on Academy stuff, I'm working on something... rather than sitting on YouTube and CollegeHumor for hours on end getting nothing done. I may still go back and create an electronics review blog, but there are other things that will come first.
The past week has been pretty good. The students came back on Sunday (although some were coming in early for various reasons) and while there were fewer students overall, it's great to see my guys again. Like I told my guys, I want this semester to include more programming, a more fluid 1-on-1 schedule, and for me to be more productive during the day. Okay, maybe I didn't tell the boys the last one.
During the first regular night of students being back, we had an open building (where every wing was opened up). We are looking into having weekly "intervisitation" where wings are opened up, so students feel more included in a building community, and to lessen the hype of an open wing. Fortunately, I was able to hang up more posters AND get the apartment spiffed up before the open building. No one really wandered in (partly since I myself went wandering for much of the time), but having more stuff up on the walls makes it feel even more like home.
Speaking of new stuff at the apartment, my Christmas gift to myself came yesterday in the form of a new TV! It's a Magnavox 32" and it's been great so far. I'm still adjusting to the whole widescreen/16:9/movie expand aspect of it, but it was definitely worth the trek to Shipping & Receiving and carrying it back. Since I have a nice stack of movies that I got for Christmas, I'm already making use of the larger screen. I'm currently in the middle of a Harry Potter marathon, since I got three of them over the holiday. The coincedental thing about it was that I started watching the first two late last week and then I saw on TBS (or maybe it was ABC Family...) that they were showing Harry Potter 3 and 4 as a weekend event. The biggest coincedence about it was that I don't actually have Prisoner of Azkaban, and it magically worked out so I could continue the marathon without losing time. Heh... "magically worked out"... I'm punny. *Ahem*
Another change I noticed from last semester is that the staff overall is more vocal and inviting about going to the community center to work out and eating healthy. I went with staff for the first time today and I can tell that I need to get more active. Of course, it didn't help that I'm still getting over whatever bug I have/had and now my apartment is starting to get too warm for my tastes. It will be nice to have more opportunities to go to the community center and not have to walk there first. On the other hand, I just hope that it doesn't turn into micromanaging calories and overexercising. I don't think my eating habits have really changed since high school, but my activity level has dropped... so that's what I want to change, naturally.
Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a winter bug/stomach flu/whathaveyou for the past several days, so I haven't been quite at full strength since the students came back. It seems like a number of students and co-workers are going through the same thing, so I'm not the only one. Just as long as I'm healthy again when I take students to Alabama... the hotel prices jumped over break so we had to shorten the trip and make the trip there an overnight drive. Granted, I'm not looking forward to driving a van for 8 hours, but at least the overnight drive will be into warmer weather. (Plus, I'm looking forward to the air/space museum and going to Alabama in general.)
Well, nothing much else to talk about, so I'll wrap it up. Today is my day off and I'll be around until Saturday night. Have a great night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment