Thursday, September 30, 2010

Grid Project - Week 3

*Gasp!* Two posts in one day! Preposterous! Then again, not really, because I could easily post three weeks in order to catch up (I'll write about Week 4 in a day or two.)

Wednesday, September 15: GRE Flashcards
Part of my study process for the GRE includes lots of flashcards, so today's highlights included feeling like a student by picking up and making flashcards. The book I have has different ways to study for the vocabulary, namely common words (plain and simple), typical word roots (like pre- meaning before, sua- meaning smooth, etc), and word groups (these five words all can boiled down to "friendly", etc)... and as you may have guessed, my current project is the word roots. I figure that if I can understand the pieces, I can do alright snapping all the pieces together.

Thursday, September 16: Zoca quesadilla
Zoca is the Mexican food "booth" in the student union food court, and it has the standard assortment of burritos, tacos, taco salad, nachos, etc. I wanted to try something new for dinner, so I tried the quesadilla, plain and simple. It was alright, although I'm not the biggest fan of their cheese, but hey, it's food, right?

Friday, September 17: NoCoMo
NoCoMo is the town's clothing depot that supplies one of the town's thrift stores and only hires individuals with physical or mental disabilities. I had heard about this place before, since that is where we take clothes that are in lost & found for a month or more, but I had never actually been there. Unfortunately, there had so much stuff that they weren't taking any more donations, but it was nice to learn more about the town I live in.

Saturday, September 18: more new games including Munchkin
Okay, I wasn't learning how to play new games, but I was teaching my guys new games like Munchkin. Like I told them, the first game is always the slowest because people are learning about the cards and how one card relates to another, but with practice and experience, the lovely munchkin-y activities and combos emerge and are exploited (for those of you that play the game, one of my personal favorite combos is "Help Me Out Here!" + Kneepads of Allure). Of course, Munchkin has undergone a few changes in the past few months, so I'm trying to adapt to the new rules myself.

Sunday, September 19: opening up with a student
I'm not going to go into much detail on this one, but I had a conversation with a student that was definitely me opening up beyond my default comfort zone when it comes to students. It was kind of odd, but it was nice to be able to share that part of myself.

Monday, September 20: soy milk
To not bore you with rambles and tangents, I'll just say that I don't want to go too overboard when it comes to dairy. Plus, there are times when all the milk at the Union seems to go south even though the carton says they are good for another day or two. Put those two things together, and I decided to try soy milk. I'm kind of surprised because I can't think of another time when I've had soy milk before. If I remember correctly, it had a lot of sugar (not to mention pricey compared to regular milk), but it's something I may incorporate into my diet off and on.

Tuesday, September 21: Skip Day
Sad to say, I don't remember doing anything particularly new, exciting, or fulfilling. I know I will have those days, so the best thing to do is simply keep moving forward. If anything, I just feel at a loss because it happened on a Tuesday so it's the last entry in my weekly post... oh well.

As I said before, things are definitely busy, so there are moments in the day when I'm just trying to keep my head above water. Here's hoping I can get on top of more tasks in the next week! (Grid Week 4 will be posted in the next few days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment